Marriage Island on the San Antonio Riverwalk
(210) 650-2-i-do (2436)
- Marriage Island on the San Antonio Riverwalk is the site of over 360 weddings each year.
- Marriage Island sets the stage for your wedding as a beautiful and uniquely San Antonio wedding venue.
- The Ministry at San Antonio is the provider of choice for wedding officiant services at Marriage Island.
- Ranked in the top 10 most romantic destination wedding locations in the world.
- Ranked in the top 5 most romantic wedding locations in the country.
Marriage Island History
The Spanish Missionary, Father Damian Massanet, conducted the first Catholic Mass on this spot on June 13, 1691. He went on to rename the river after Saint Anthony of Padua to honor his feast day. Rolando Briseño was commissioned in 1991 to create a sculpture to commemorate this Mass. The island is now the root ball of a cypress tree that was planted over 100 years ago. The island was originally kept so as not to cause permanent damage to the historic tree.Marriage Island has remained a place of worship and celebration for hundreds of years. It is said to bring good fortune to any couple married on the Island.